Following the meeting of its Executive Committee, UEFA has unveiled the new features of the Champions League from the 2024/25 season. The reformulation of the maximum continental club competition, which had been discussed for some time, comes hours after the announcement of the creation of the European Super League by some of the most powerful teams in Europe.
These will be the characteristics of the new Champions League:
– There will be no groups as has been happening as before. The competition will have a league format, with all the clubs in the same ranking. All teams will play the same matches against teams from the same pot.
– This initial phase will last 10 days, with the teams playing five games at home and five away. The top eight finishers will go to the last 16. From 9th to 24th they will play a playoff to access the second round.
– The eighth and quarterfinals will be two-legged and it is pending to see if the semifinals will be like now (with a roundtrip) or a ‘Final Four’ format is chosen. Playoff pairings can be by lottery or based on your league ranking.
– No team in the Champions League will continue in the Europa League if they are out of the last 16 in the Champions League, as is currently the case with teams that finish third in the group league.
– The Champions League will be played on Tuesdays and Wednesdays except for two exclusive weeks for the Champions (without the Europa League or Conference League), which will also be held on Thursdays.
– The Champions League will have 32 teams plus four that will come as follows: the third in the country with the fifth best UEFA ranking, one from the qualifying phase of all minor league champions and two more for those with the best UEFA coefficient who do not have been classified.
– The new Champions would have two competition times, 6:45 pm and 9:00 pm.