Tennis: Del Potro faces the eighth operation of his career

The Argentine tennis player Juan Martin del Potro, champion of 2009 US Open and former world number 3, said on Monday that on Tuesday he will undergo surgery in the United States for the fourth time in less than three years on his right knee, and that he dreams of being able to be in the Tokyo Olympics.

“I am in Chicago, I have been talking with Dr. Jorge Chala for many months. One of the news is that I’m going to have another knee surgery tomorrow. We have tried many alternative and conservative treatments and did not have good results, “Del Potro said in a video that he shared on his social networks.

This will be the fourth surgery on that knee of the 32-year-old Argentine since he suffered an injury in October 2018. The last surgery had been on August 26, 2020.

“With him (Jorge Chala) we believe that the best option is surgery. He knows my desire to play tennis again, to be in the Olympic Games and that is why we decided that doing this as soon as possible is the best”, explained ‘Delpo’.

“They have not been easy weeks, since my father died everything costs me a lot. I felt the strength that he sends me from above so as not to lower my arms and be able to get ahead of this that for many months has been bringing me headaches. Today the reality This is it. I don’t want to stop trying, “he added.

‘La torre de Tandil’ won 22 individual titles, among which the 2009 United States Open stands out.

He also won the 2016 Davis Cup, the bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics, the silver medal at Rio de Janeiro 2016 and was third in the world ranking.

This will be the eighth operation that the Argentine will undergo.

Del Potro had surgery on his right wrist in 2010, and underwent three surgeries on his left wrist between 2014 and 2015.