The team Aston Martin Formula 1 announced this Thursday the incorporation of Nico Hülkenberg as a reserve pilot for training based in Silverstone. The set, previously called Racing Point, already had the German driver in their ranks when he was called ‘Force India’, as the official driver of his team in F1 between the 2014 and 2016 campaigns. In addition, last year, as a result of his good relationship and his departure from F1 after three years at Renault, Nico saved this structure ‘in extremis’ by being able to first supply Sergio Pérez in it British GP and then to Lance Stroll at the Eifel GP for both positive for coronavirus. A year later, Nico wins the place of reserve driver in case he has to return to relieve the Canadian or the new signing of the team, Sebastian Vettel, during this course.
“First of all, it’s great to sign this agreement well in advance. Last year I didn’t have that much time to prepare before getting in the car! I am very happy to be working with this team again, with which I have driven many times during my career.
Obviously I hope Sebastian and Lance have an uninterrupted season this year, but the team knows they can trust me to step in and do an excellent job., and I am fully prepared to take on that challenge, “Nico said in a team statement.
“It will also be interesting to help develop the team throughout the season, and I am looking forward to great lap times.”He added, in relation to the development and simulator work that he will carry out in the factory.
“We are delighted to be able to officially welcome Nico to the team, as a reserve and development driver for the Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One team. In these difficult times, the requirement for a capable and experienced reserve driver is especially important. Nico proved last year that he could get in the car and perform superbly at any time; now, with an additional margin for preparation and integration, we know we can trust Nico to do an excellent job. “said Otmar Szafnauer, executive director of the team.