Leclerc: ‘We must not dream of fighting with Mercedes and Red Bull, we are not at that level yet’

Charles Leclerc is yet to score points at his Monaco Grand Prix, but with two retirements and no races in 2020 due to the pandemic, a change of fortune awaits the Ferrari driver this weekend.

The 23-year-old, who grew up watching cars race down the harbor track and took the school bus on roads known to all Formula 1 fans, was excited at the prospect this Wednesday on Media Day of the GP of Monaco.

“I love it, but in the last three years I’ve had a bit of a bad time at this track, apart from last year when we didn’t race. But I love this circuit, I love street circuits in general. And here, I think it’s a special feeling for all the riders to race here. ”

In 2018, his debut season with Alfa Romeo, Leclerc retired after a collision and in 2019, his first year at Ferrari, he came out with damaged ground. He also retired twice at home in his 2017 Formula 2 season, in which he won the title.

“I was born here, I have grown up here, so I am very excited to be here. Unfortunately, I have been quite unlucky here in the past, and I hope this luck changes a bit for this year. “

Leclerc, winner in Belgium and Italy from pole in 2019, has yet to make the top-10 at Monaco, the circuit he knows best.

“These two times I have not reached Q3, but this year I will do my best to reach it,” he said.

Ferrari finished in a lousy sixth place in last year’s constructors’ overall, its worst result in 40 years. This year they seem much more competitive, as the Monegasque has finished all four races held so far in the top six and with two fourth places included.

“We should not dream too much about fighting with Mercedes and Red Bull, because realistically, we are not at that level yet,” he said.