Hours before their match against the Sunrisers Hyderabad on Sunday, Kolkata Knight Riders have been told by the IPL that Sunil Narine‘s action has been cleared and taken off the warning list.
In a media statement issued on Sunday, the IPL said Narine had been “cleared” by tournament’s Suspect Bowling Action Committee. It is not known who all sit on this panel.
“KKR requested for an official assessment of Mr Narine’s action from the IPL Suspect Bowling Action Committee, submitting action footage in slow motion with back and side angles,” the IPL statement said. “The Committee carefully reviewed all the deliveries of action footage sent of Mr Narine with the naked eye and has come to the conclusion that the elbow-bend appears to be within the range of permissible limits.”
Both Narine and Knight Riders had expressed surprise after the bowler was put on the warning list by the IPL immediately after he played a match-winning role in thrilling two-run victory against Kings XI Punjab on October 10.
Narine was reported by the on-field umpires Ulhas Gandhe and Chris Gaffaney, with the suspect action occurring during the last over of the match, bowled by Narine, when Kings XI needed 14 runs for victory. The IPL did not specify which type of delivery Narine was reported for.