Ferrari is talking to the Formula One on the celebration of the thousandth grand prize of the Italian team on the circuit of Mugellosaid the director this Friday Mattia Binotto. Mugello has been owned by Scuderia since 1988.
Formula One has so far released only a partial schedule of eight races before the delay to the season opener this Sunday in Austria, but it hopes to publish a full version in the next few days or weeks.
It is expected to include some circuits that are not on the original schedule, which has been devastated by the COVID-19 pandemic, with Mugello, owned by Ferrari, and the Portuguese circuit at Portimao as top contenders.
Mugello has never hosted a World Cup race before, but is used by Ferrari for testing and other events. It is also a fixed point on the MotoGP calendar.
“I can confirm that we are arguing with F1,” Binotto told reporters by video conference on the Red Bull Ring when asked about Mugello.
“Our hope is really to try to bring F1 to Mugello, we believe that Mugello is a great circuit not only on the sustainable side, but for the drivers. It is very demanding. I think it is a very good one. I think it can be an exciting race there. And potentially being our 1,000th race and doing it in Italy and Mugello, our own racing circuit, it will be great. ”
The aim would be to hold the race immediately after the Italian Grand Prix at Monza in September, the last of the ones announced so far and which would be Ferrari’s 999th.
Binotto raised the possibility that some fans may attend. “It will be even better if we can have some fans there, at the moment we cannot confirm it,” he said. “If it happens, we will try to organize a great show for televisions and fans,” he concluded.
Ferrari is the oldest and most successful Formula One team, the only ones that have competed since the first season of the world championship in 1950.