Fernando Alonso, two-time F1 world champion, will be able to compete on August 24 at the Indianapolis 500 after solving bureaucratic problems with the visa to travel to the United States.
Speaking to reporters at the British Grand Prix, McLaren boss Zak Brown said the Spaniard would travel to the United States next week.
“As you can imagine, things in the United States right now are a bit chaotic and it has taken a while to overcome obstacles, but Fernando now has everything he needs,” said Brown.
Alonso already commented last month that “he had problems even traveling to the United States”, but he has finally arranged those procedures and will be able to participate in the test.
The Spaniard, who will return to Formula One with Renault next year after two years out of the World Cup, has made the Indy 500 his top priority for 2020.
Victory at Indianapolis this month would make the Monaco Grand Prix winner and the 24-hour Le Mans champion the second driver, after the late British Graham Hill, to complete the Triple Crown of motorsports.
Alonso led the Indianapolis 500 for 27 laps in his debut in 2017 before his car’s engine gave up, and he failed to qualify in 2019.
Fernando will line up for the Arrow McLaren SP team in a rescheduled race from May 24 to August 23 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In the United States, 1.87 million new cases of coronavirus were registered in July, bringing the total infections to 4.5 million.