Corinthians accuses Palmeiras of failing to comply with the health protocol

Corinthians on Monday accused Palmeiras, their rival in the final of the Paulista Championship, to be played this week, of failing to comply with the health protocol that, according to the club’s directive, forces the participating teams to isolate themselves due to the pandemic of the new coronavirus. .

The final of the regional tournament, one of the most relevant in Brazil and in which the teams from the state of Sao Paulo participate, comes a year more marked by controversy, this time with the COVID-19 as the protagonist.

Two days before the first leg of the final is played, Corinthians released a statement in which it explained that it “strictly” complied with the “confinement” of its players and coaches, in accordance with the protocol of the authorities for the return of the soccer in the region.

“Differently from the Sociedad Deportiva Palmeiras that breached and released its players after each game, which was never allowed,” added the Albinegro club.

The directive thus reacted to the information published by the local press that stated that Corinthians had refused to carry out new diagnostic tests of the virus on its players before the two games of the championship final, scheduled for Wednesday and Saturday of this week.

In his defense, the club said that it has kept the cast isolated for two weeks, “a period in which everyone is deprived of living with their families,” so, according to the entity, there is no need to submit to the template to a new test round.

“We do not accept that the weight of irresponsibility is transferred to those who have fulfilled all the requirements,” he added.

For its part, Palmeiras was contrary to the decision of its rival and announced that it will carry out new COVID-19 screening tests on the team on the eve of the final two games, according to the newspaper ‘Lance’.

Later, the São Paulo Football Federation confirmed in a note that Corinthians has no obligation to carry out new coronavirus tests because it is confined and that Palmeiras did not keep its players isolated.

He also indicated that the sanitary protocol “foresees that the delegations should be subjected to tests and, after knowing the results, they would concentrate for the matches in venues previously prepared and disinfected.”

“Palmeiras decided not to keep the players confined and concentrated after the match against Ponte Preta (of the semifinals). Therefore, following the same concept of the protocol, before the concentration for the next match, they should be subjected to new tests “said the federation.

The entity reported, however, that, in agreement with the two clubs, new tests for the new coronavirus will be carried out on both teams before the second leg of Saturday’s final.

Brazil is the second country in the world hardest hit by the pandemic after the United States, registering close to 95,000 deaths and 2.7 million confirmed cases of the disease.

The virus is not yet controlled in many of the 27 Brazilian states, many of which have allowed a return to soccer without an audience despite their delicate situation, as is the case in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, among others.