Andreescu will defend his title at the US Open

The reigning champion of US Open, Bianca Andreescu, has announced that will defend his title in New York next summer despite the health concerns raised by the coronavirus. Andreescu is the second star to confirm his presence in the tournament, after Serena Williams.

“I have no doubt that the USTA has put in place the best plan to ensure our safety“, Explained the Canadian on social networks. The USTA has been explaining these days the conditions that will accompany the tournament dispute.

“The decision has not been taken lightly and I support and fully understand the opinion of any player on the subject, as well as the comfort or not that they may feel due to traveling so far or playing in the largest stadium in the world ”, he said referring to the doubts of players like Nadal, Djokovic or Halep.

I intend to play as much as possible and to meet again with players and friends to make fans from all over the world feel like tennis again, ”said Andreescu. The US Open dispute, behind closed doors and with strict security measures, is scheduled between August 31 and September 13.