2-2: Suffered point and pass of Libertad

The Liberty Paraguayan, with a ‘double’ by Sebastián Ferreira, obtained this Wednesday a long-suffering 2-2 draw with Catholic University but he qualified for the third round of the Libertadores Cup one week after having won by the minimum in Ecuadorian territory.

Libertad will face in the next phase the winner of the tie between Atlético Nacional and Paraguayan Guaraní, which will be decided this Thursday in Medellín with the partial advantage for the Colombian team, which won the first leg 0-2.

Ferreira scored in the 33rd and 64th minutes, while the Católica converted through Walter Chalá in the 62nd and Juan Manuel Tévez guaranteed the final draw with a penalty in the 82nd.

The first half, of alternate dominance, started with a Libertad in problems to impose control of the ball at the insistence of the blue ones on their containment zone to reverse the 0-1 deficit of the first leg. The Ecuadorians Walter Chalá, from the left wing to the center, and José Carabalí from the right, became a headache for the centrals and Martín Silva, the experienced Uruguayan goalkeeper from Guma.

At 16 minutes, an overflow from Chalá ended in a cross into the area that Guillermo de los Santos crashed headlong into the crossbar and, at 24, goalkeeper Hernán Galíndez stopped a point-blank shot by Sebastián Ferreira from Antonio Bareiro.

In the 27th minute the Catholic responded with another charge. A filtered ball from Chalá behind the defenders was providentially deflected by an opponent and, two minutes later, Sebastián Ferreira wasted the opening from Liberte when arriving late to a cross pass from Iván Franco.

Rodrigo Bogarín (Libertad) celebrates a goal today

Thus, the goal seemed about to arrive until at 33 Ferreira scored at pleasure after receiving a shipment from Iván Franco that filtered down the right wing to connect in depth towards the “cabbage” battering ram. The Ecuadorians once again disturbed the locals with a surprising left-foot shot by Colombian Yuber Mosquera that passed very close to Silva’s left vertical.

At the end of the break, Libertad had the initiative and control of the ball, although in a defensive oversight Chalá took a powerful shot over the top to equalize in the 62nd minute. But the black and white reaction was immediate. Just two minutes later, Ferreira, who until then had already demanded Galíndez several times, submitted the goalkeeper with a header to the back of the net after a cross from Iván Ramírez.

With the advantage on the scoreboard, the locals focused on keeping those of Cifuentes out of their domains, playing with the desperation of their rival, although a hand from Ramírez on the line of the area cost the locals a penalty, which he turned into Tevez goal for the visitors with eight minutes remaining.

From then on it was to hold on and cool the game to prevent the elimination goal, which Silva avoided two minutes after the addition by stopping a shot at point-blank range by Andrés López.

2 -Freedom: Martín Silva; Iván Ramírez, Javier Báez, Alexander Barboza, Matías Espínola; Iván Franco (m.82, Pedro Delvalle), Ramón Martínez, Daniel Bocanegra, Rodrigo Bogarín (m.89, Daniel Villalba); Antonio Bareiro (m.80, Diego Vieira) and Sebastián Ferreira (m.89, Óscar Cardozo).

Coach: Daniel Garnero

2 – Catholic: Hernán Galíndez; Guillermo de los Santos (m.62, Kevin Minda), Andrés Oña, Yuber Mosquera, Facundo Martínez; Gustavo Cortéz (d.74, Edder Farías), Andrés López, José Carabalí, Walter Chalá; Lizandro Alzugaray and Juan Manuel Tévez.

Coach: Winston Cifuentes

Goals: 1-0, Sebastián Ferreira (m. 33); 1-1, Walter Chalá (d. 62); 2-1, Sebastián Ferreira (d. 64); 2-2, Juan Manuel Tévez, from a penalty (m. 82)

Referee: Argentine Fernando Rapallini admonished Javier Carabalí, Javier Báez and Iván Ramírez.

Incidents: second leg of Phase 2 of the Copa Libertadores played at the Defensores del Chaco stadium in Asunción